Another one of our new favorite juices. I call it Spicy V-12 Juice. I’ve always been a fan of V-8 juice, but, you know, they’re trademarked. And my recipe calls for 12 ingredients plus makes your body feel like a luxury sports car . . . enriching your cells with plenty of garlic and sweet and hot peppers that not only add vitamins but also internal “heat,” carrots for beta carotene and beets for encouraging de-toxification and lowering blood pressure.
So yes, super healthy, but don’t forget, it tastes amazing.
I normally serve a 2-cup serving of this alongside a breakfast of scrambled eggs with some fresh avocado or pico de gallo (or both) on top. And, if you want to add a bit of Worcesterschire into your glass and stir it with a lacto-fermented dilly bean or, perhaps, asparagus spear, well, I can’t say I don’t blame you! This makes the perfect, healthy Bloody Mary!
Spicy V-12 Juice
makes about six cups
- Four large or eight to ten small (Roma) tomatoes
- half of a bunch of celery, about eight stalks
- 1 bell pepper (red, preferably)
- 1 jalapeno, de-seeded
- 1 large garlic clove
- 1/4 of an onion (yellow or red work well)
- 8 carrots, tops removed
- 1 beet, peeled
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley
- 2 cucumbers
- 2 limes, peeled
- salt and pepper to taste
- Juice all vegetables, starting and ending with celery. If your juicer has a low and a high speed, juice the softer vegetables and fruits (tomatoes, limes, cucumbers, etc.) on the low speed to get all the juice out of them, and the harder vegetables on high.
- Though fresh juice is best drunk immediately, before it oxidizes, I often make this larger recipe of juice and freeze it immediately in pint size jars for later consumption; allowing it to just barely defrost in the fridge overnight before drinking it with breakfast the next morning. If you’re only making one glass for one person, I’d recommend cutting the recipe down by half.
Diet type: Vegan and Raw
Number of servings (yield): 2 – 4